Thursday, May 22, 2008

Friends, Dinosaurs, and a really big Buddha

Wow, three posts in a week - I'm on a role! (or perhaps feeling guilty about my lack of posts in the past...)

So this weekend I drove over to Fukui-ken, a neighbouring prefecture, to visit my friend G. We went to Kanazawa in Ishikawa-ken and saw Kenrokuen Garden, and then stopped by the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art for the Ron Muek exhibit. Cool stuff. Big baby.

On Sunday we drove out to the Fukui Prefectural Dinosaur Museum in Katsuyama.





After my close call with a toothy Fukui-saurus (or something), we continued on to the Echizen Dai Butsu, a Buddhist temple complex with a 17 meter-tall bronze statue of the Buddha. Apparently it's bigger than the one in Nara, although considerably less famous. Either way, it was impressive, not only for it's size and beauty, but for the over 1000 smaller statues places in niches in the temple walls. Here are some pictures and a video:


Is your temple not attracting enough small children? Just add pinwheels!



This is myself, a massive guardian statue, and a fire extinguisher




No comments: