Monday, October 16, 2006

Life is hard with no internet

I got a letter from Softbank: they need another copy of my gaijin-card picture and may not be able to set-up in my area. At this rate, I'll probably have internet access at my apartment by my birthday. I am a Taurus.

Anyway, as usual I've been really, really busy. Last weekend I met my friend Andrew in Tokyo for a much-needed urban slap in the face (I had my toes stepped on by hoards of people and I loved it!) and then spent the Holiday Monday wandering around my own little city, taking in the sites and sounds and tastes - the most important part - of the Takayama Fall Festival. The number of people who suddenly flooded the streets and riverbanks and back alleys, temples and sake shops was almost terrifying. I went sake-sampling with friends and each time we emerged from the dark, wood-and-stone shops with their ominous cedar balls hanging out front, the world was just a bit more sparkly. We had glorious weather.

I spent last week at Norikura doing English stuff and hiking with slow 10 year olds. Then I was at one of my Shogakkos (elementary schools) where I made Jack-o-lantern masks with 6 year olds and had them knock on my (imaginary) door and practice trick-or-treating (with real candy). They ate up every sugar infused second of it and at the end of the day I watched them traipse down the hill/mountain - some of the children walk 50 mins each way! - with red and black back-packs, yellow hats and orange faces.

I haven't downloaded any pictures yet so I will leave you with this one, taken back in August.

Takayama has a Totoro shop! It's actually devoted to all things Miyazaki, but the majority of their wares is Totoro. What more could you ask for in a small Japanese city in the mountains?

Ok, here are some more pictures of Takayama, taken back in August:

The Miyagawa River and the Tori-gate bridge

A pretty stretch of river that is tucked-away amongst merchant houses and souvenir shops

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totoro...ahh
Oie Oie Oie

Anonymous said...

Does the Totoro shop do mail-order?