Thursday, May 31, 2007

I hike a sulphurous volcano and teach rowdy 6-year olds

On Tuesday I went to one of my elementary schools and taught the new 1st grade students for the very first time. They were all adorable, sticky, loud and totally excited about learning English. As usual I was mobbed, tickled and climbed on. One child decided he didn't want to participate, and turned blind and deaf and slumped to the floor like a pile of ooze while his classmates stepped on his head. Charming. Another child gave me a back massage, but it was hard to appreciate it because another little boy kept grabbing at my chest. What is up with that? Little kids in Japan - read, boys - seem to think that breasts and butts are fair game and it's open season all the time. It's so creepy! Where do they learn these things?

Now that the snow is gone and the weather is warm I've been doing a lot of hiking. Last weekend I climbed to the top of 'Yake Dake', which is an active volcano in the Japanese Alps. It was a great work-out, and the views were gorgeous, but the hike itself was really, really stinky thanks to the numerous sulphur vents. It's hard to enjoy lunch when everything smells like rotten eggs.

Off to Tokyo this weekend for a conference, huzzah!









I took this on my way up. There was still a bit of snow on the peak, and even more down in the forest.

















On the summit. It was really, really windy.


















A Japanese hiker and a putrid, yellow sulphur vent.















I took this picture on the way down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenes - hard to imagine they're from your cell phone!
About those grabby little boys - the question is, where and how do they unlearn it?
XX M

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin
So glad you're back on your blog -keeps me company and educates me on the places I've never been - yet!
love, Nan