Monday, November 13, 2006

Two Weekends Ago, Part II

Technically it's Three Weekends Ago, but we'll overlook it this time. And now that I'm finally connected to the internet at my apartment (while sitting under my kotatsu, which I'll explain about in a forthcoming post), I should be able to update more frequently.

I believe I covered the market, temples and gardens of Kyoto, so now it's time for


People

It was C's birthday so first we made him blush by singing 'Happy Birthday' in the Chinese restaurant (it was a decidedly non-singing sort of place) ;then we went out for karaoke.

Some of us at the Imperial Palace

These (japanese) guys were stirring things up at an Irish pub we dropped by, and they were really good! I forget their band's name, but it was weird and had the word 'milk' in it.


Geisha

This is a picture of an old-world geisha disappearing into a modern, urban nightscape *roll eyes here* but seriously, these woman have magical powers. We saw two geisha walking down the street that night on two separate occasions, and both times when we tried to take pictures strange things happened to our cameras. In my case, the camera refused to focus for the 30 seconds or so we had to take an effective photograph, and my friend's camera suddenly ran out of batteries, for those 30 seconds or so only! Crazy.

Look closely: there are two geisha in this photo. You can the backs of their heads. Let's not disturb them though, we want to observe, not intrude. And thus concludes our thrilling attempt to capture the elusive geisha in her natural habitat. The end.


Our Ryokan

Thanks to C, we got to spend several nights at the lovely Casa de Natu Inn, a traditional ryokan. This was the girls room.

Another shot of the girl's room. It was everything you'd expect a traditonal Japanese to be.

Breakfast on the floor in the hallway

This chair was awsomely creepy.



The ryokan garden



Details




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This place looks great. I'd like to stay there when I'm in Japan in about a month but can't find out much more about it.

Just wondering if you can answer a few questions for me. What bathing options are there at Casa de Natu? Also, what meal options?

Thanks,

Cath

Erin said...

Sorry, might be too late now. But, there was one toilet and one shower room (separate) that everyone shared. As for meals, I'm not sure if she does dinner, but breakfast is definitely an option (toast and jam, yoghurt etc.)